[Vmail-discuss] Exim/Config question

Marcin Sochacki wanted@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:21:51 +0200

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 07:21:34PM +0100, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 06:01:33PM +0100, Paul Warren wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 11:58:41AM -0500, Jason R. Park wrote:
> > > I am using vmail/exim/tpop3d and have a config question.  I have forwarders
> > > and mailboxes working great for virtual domains.  I would like to be able to
> > > do the following though:
> > > 	Send message to: abc@virtdomain.com
> > > 		Message forward to: abc@hisothervirtdomain.com
> > > 		Drop to mailbox: virtdomain.com/abc
> > >
> > > I can currently forward an address to multiple recipients, but I cannon have
> > > both the forward and mail drop work at the same time.  I have searched the
> > > Exim documentation and cannot seem t come up with anything.  It seems to me
> > > that I would need to add an option (Assuming that the aliasfile director is
> > > before the mailbox director) to the aliasfile director to process and then
> > > let things continue to try and catch stuff.  If any one has any ideas or
> > > suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
> >
> > I'm afraid I don't of a nice way to fix this, but there is a simple
> > workaround.  Create a mailbox called e.g. abcpop3 within virtdomain.com,
> > and have abc@virtdomain.com forward to both
> > abc@hisothervirtualdomain.com and abcpop3@virtdomain.com.
>
> I think that's probably the only basic approach which will
> work. You could probably arrange some hack with
> system-wide filters, but I don't think you'd win much.

Huh, Exim amazes me more and more :)
I had the same problem and I was quite desparate to make it work.
The simplest solution actually worked :)

# VE-forwarder list example.com
[...]
redakcja -> alias-redakcja
[...]
# grep alias-redakcja /etc/aliases
alias-redakcja: redakcja@example.com,other@domain.example.com
# VE-popbox list example.com
[...]
redakcja (1.00 Kb)
[...]

So we've both forwarder and popbox with the same name, and a loop created
using /etc/aliases.
I thought this kind of setup would make Exim shout at me, but no!
It works nice, seems that Exim detects the loop and skips virtual_forward
director.

Marcin

 |  Sekcja Obslugi Informatycznej Biblioteki Glownej  !!!  !!! .!!!!!!  +
 |  Uniwersytet Gdanski                               !!!  !!! !!!      |
 +  tel. (058) 5509436                                !!!  !!! !!!  `!! |