[tpop3d-discuss] upgrade to tpop3d1.4.2

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 20:51:07 +0100

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 02:29:51PM -0500, Brian Fuller (Byte Head Internet) wrote:
> I am running tpop3d.1.4.1 with Vmail-sql 0.6 on a Red Hat 7.2 box. Recently
> the popserver randomly crashes. I get: "quit signal 11 post_fork = 0" as the
> last information from the main process.

Can you give any more information on this? How often does
it occur, and are there any particular circumstances which
give rise to it (in particular, any other informative log
entries)? Is there anything unusual about your
configuration?

> In an effort to correct this
> problem I have downloaded Vmail-sql 0.7 and upgraded it with no problem.  I
> have also downloaded tpop3d1.4.7, however when I attempt to run the
                             ^^^^
                        1.4.2 ?

> configure script (./configure --enable-auth-mysql) It fails trying to locate
> mysql.h.  This program is located in /usr/include/mysql/mysql.h.  I had no
> problem like this when installing version 1.4.6.  If you could shed some
                                            ^^^^^
            I'm guessing this is `1.4.1' ?

> light on either the server crash problem or the configure problem it would
> be greatly appreciated.

Hmm. I'm slightly concerned that it's crashing under 1.4.1
-- I don't recall having fixed any bugs of that type since
then. In any case, upgrading to 1.4.2 is sensible.

Can you try running configure with --with-mysql-root=/usr
-- this shouldn't be necessary but you never know. If that
doesn't work, could you try

    CFLAGS=-I/usr/include/mysql
    CPPFLAGS=$CFLAGS
    LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib/mysql    # or wherever libmysqlclient lives
    export CFLAGS CPPFLAGS LDFLAGS
    rm config.cache
    ./configure --enable-auth-mysql

and see if that works.

I hate autoconf.

--
``I can't find the [Latin] translation for `responsibility',
  which might explain a lot of Roman history....'' (Gareth Wilson)