[tpop3d-discuss] upgrade to tpop3d1.4.2

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:09:10 +0100

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 03:49:37PM -0500, Brian Fuller (Byte Head Internet) wrote:
> Up until recently it was working great.  The server will
> go for hours without crashing and then it can crash
> several times in a row. here is a sample of the maillog:
    [...]
> Sep 19 14:56:36 temp tpop3d[23611]: listeners_post_select: client [6]67.36.87.50/bytehead.com: connected
> Sep 19 14:56:37 temp tpop3d[23611]: quit: signal 11 post_fork = 0
>
> It looks to me like its dying when it is attempting to
> authenticate the user with IP address 67.36.87.50.  I
> determined who this was and logged into our popserver
> using a web interface without a problem.

Yeah. There's not enough information to tell where the
error is, alas.

> Could it be a
> client issue?

I hope not! That would be pretty poor.

Would it be possible for you to try running tpop3d with a
debugger? Since you're on RedHat you probably have gdb;
you can connect to the tpop3d server process with

    gdb `which tpop3d` <PID of tpop3d process>

then when the gdb prompt appears, type `cont' to have it
continue running. If a crash occurs, it should drop back
to the gdb prompt, at which point you can type `bt' to get
a backtrace, a copy of which would be most helpful.

An alternative is to configure it with --enable-backtrace,
which should write some postmortem information into the
system log after a crash.

Have you been able to compile 1.4.2 ?

--
``There are those who are troubled 100 percent about the situation in Vietnam.
  That goes double for me.'' (Lyndon Baines Johnson)