[tpop3d-discuss] new features I would like to implement

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:32:28 -0800

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 06:57:11PM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> 1) dbm authentication driver. I can write the basic support for db3 so that
> it may access a dbm file for authentication.

If you use the perl interpreter you'll have access to DB_File.pm and
BerkeleyDB.pm. The latter implements a large chunk of the Berkeley DB
{2-4} API as I understand it which would allow pretty fine grained
control, not that you probably need it but still :-).

Perhaps Python has something similar...

> people will use db3 (or should I assume db2)? I haven't used gdbm much, but I
> assume if I stick with the simple parts of the API I will be OK.

From my experience I would not advise using GDBM, it's not particularly
fast and getting locks on the DB can be a pain although this usually
isn't an issue if it's not being written to often (and one would assume
it isn't in this kind of app).

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"If only it were true, then their heads would not get as hot."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/