[Iftop-users] Outputting iftop to a file

Shannon Rodrigues shannon.rodrigues at paladion.net
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 21:21:08 +0530

--001fc6d6932fdc0dfa04ca748e61

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your reply.
In my typical setup, I want a tool which will display download rates of a
particular user/ subnet. I am configuring download limiting rules to user/
subnet but unfortunately have no tool to verify whether the config is
working or not.

Manually checking output of iftop is helpful, but I would like to push the
output to a file so that I could verify this at the end of the day. Getting
it listed by ports is not a necessity. Traffic to and from will solve my
purpose.
I would like the output of download rate of a user/ subnet to be written to
a file for lets say a 5 second interval.
Please let me know if there is more information you require from my side. I
am a newbie to linux and any input provided by you and the team will be
highly appreciated. :)
Have a wonderful day ahead.

Thanks and regards,
Shannon R

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Jonathan Abbey
<jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu>wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 06:10:46 -0500, Shannon Rodrigues wrote:
> | Hi Team,
> |
> | I would like to view the output of command iftop to a file instead of it
> | being displayed on the CLI.
>
> iftop is designed to be a real time view of network traffic.  I don't
> think it's output would make much sense in a file.
>
> Exactly what kind of report do you want to have generated?
>
> Are you wanting to get a list of traffic to and from each address that
> communicates with your system, broken down by port?  Are you wanting
> it to be divided into time intervals, or are you wanting totals?
>
> You'd have to describe in much greater detail what it is you're
> wanting to get from a file dump, and it's likely that there are better
> tools out there already for what you're wanting.. ?
>
>  Jon
>
> --

> Jonathan Abbey
> jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu
> Applied Research Laboratories                 The University of Texas at
> Austin
> GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver pgp.mit.edu,
> http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey.gpg

--001fc6d6932fdc0dfa04ca748e61

typical setup, I want a tool which will=A0display download rates of a parti=
cular user/ subnet. I am configuring download=A0limiting rules=A0to user/ s=
ubnet but unfortunately have no tool to verify whether the config is workin=
g or not.</div>
to push the output to a file so that I could verify this at the end of the =
day. Getting it listed by ports is not a necessity. Traffic to and from wil=
l solve my purpose. <br>
 written to a file for lets say a 5 second interval. <br>Please let me know=
 if there is more information you require from my side. I am a newbie to li=
nux and any input provided by you and the team will be highly appreciated. =
:)<br>
 Jonathan Abbey <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jonabbey@arlut.utex=
as.edu" target=3D"_blank">jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<b=
r>
color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid" class=
=3D"gmail_quote"><div class=3D"im">On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 06:10:46 -0500, Shan=
non Rodrigues wrote:<br>

| Hi Team,<br>
| I would like to view the output of command iftop to a file instead of it<=
br>
| being displayed on the CLI.<br>
&#39;t<br>
think it&#39;s output would make much sense in a file.<br>
Exactly what kind of report do you want to have generated?<br>
Are you wanting to get a list of traffic to and from each address that<br>
communicates with your system, broken down by port? =A0Are you wanting<br>
it to be divided into time intervals, or are you wanting totals?<br>
You&#39;d have to describe in much greater detail what it is you&#39;re<br>
wanting to get from a file dump, and it&#39;s likely that there are better<=
br>
tools out there already for what you&#39;re wanting.. ?<br>
=A0Jon<br>
--<br>
----<br>
Jonathan Abbey =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0<a href=3D"mailto:jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu">jonabbey@ar=
lut.utexas.edu</a><br>
Applied Research Laboratories =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 The Universit=
y of Texas at Austin<br>
GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver <a href=3D"http://pgp.mit.edu" target=3D"_bl=
ank">pgp.mit.edu</a>, <a href=3D"http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey.gpg" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey.gpg</a><br>