[Iftop-users] Outputting iftop to a file

Jonathan Abbey jonabbey at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 08:29:18 -0500

--YG0IFkGWIt6MbjRk

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 06:10:46 -0500, Shannon Rodrigues wrote:
| Hi Team,
|=20
| I would like to view the output of command iftop to a file instead of it
| being displayed on the CLI.

iftop is designed to be a real time view of network traffic.  I don't
think it's output would make much sense in a file.

Exactly what kind of report do you want to have generated?

Are you wanting to get a list of traffic to and from each address that
communicates with your system, broken down by port?  Are you wanting
it to be divided into time intervals, or are you wanting totals?

You'd have to describe in much greater detail what it is you're
wanting to get from a file dump, and it's likely that there are better
tools out there already for what you're wanting.. ?

 Jon

--=20
----
Jonathan Abbey 				              jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu
Applied Research Laboratories                 The University of Texas at Au=
stin
GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver pgp.mit.edu, http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey=
=2Egpg

--YG0IFkGWIt6MbjRk