[Iftop-users] Outputting iftop to a file

Jonathan Abbey jonabbey at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 11:08:53 -0500

--QFYA38BK7dvhx8Kf

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:51:08 -0500, Shannon Rodrigues wrote:
| Hi Jon,
|=20
| Thank you for your reply.
| In my typical setup, I want a tool which will display download rates of a
| particular user/ subnet. I am configuring download limiting rules to user/
| subnet but unfortunately have no tool to verify whether the config is
| working or not.

iftop doesn't know anything about what user is communicating, it just
shows what ports and IP addresses are involved.

| Manually checking output of iftop is helpful, but I would like to push the
| output to a file so that I could verify this at the end of the day. Getti=
ng
| it listed by ports is not a necessity. Traffic to and from will solve my
| purpose.
| I would like the output of download rate of a user/ subnet to be written =
| a file for lets say a 5 second interval.

Couldn't you use netstat (or ss, on more modern Linuxes) for that?  Or
tcpdump with some after the fact filtering?

iftop's claim to fame is real time curses-style graphing of traffic,
there are plenty of tools for doing statistics gathering that would be
more suitable for generating reports.

 Jon

--=20
----
Jonathan Abbey 				              jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu
Applied Research Laboratories                 The University of Texas at Au=
stin
GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver pgp.mit.edu, http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey=
=2Egpg

--QFYA38BK7dvhx8Kf