[Iftop-users] iftop 0.17 on HP-UX 11i

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:17:22 -0400

Jonathan Abbey wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 10:37:22AM -0400, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> |
> | Hey all,
> |
> | I've been using iftop on Solaris for some time now and love what it is
> | able to do -- there are few programs that make things quite this easy to
> | decipher.
> |
> | I'd like to use this also on an HP-UX box, but I can't get it built. It
> | balks in the pthreads department, but AFAIK HP-UX now supports pthreads
> | properly. Any assistance would be wonderful. config.log is as follows:
> |
> | configure:6294: checking POSIX threads compilation
> | configure:6309: cc -o conftest -I/usr/local/include
> | - -I/usr/local/include  -L/u
> | sr/local/lib conftest.c -lpcap -lm  -lcurses  >&5
> | configure:6312: $? = 0
> | configure:6315: test -s conftest
> | configure:6318: $? = 0
> | configure:6347: result: CFLAGS= and LIBS=
> | configure:6349: checking POSIX threads usability
> | configure:6359: cc -o conftest -I/usr/local/include
> | - -I/usr/local/include  -L/u
> | sr/local/lib conftest.c -lpcap -lm  -lcurses  >&5
> | configure:6362: $? = 0
> | configure:6364: ./conftest
> | Function is not available
> | configure:6367: $? = 255
> | configure: program exited with status 255
> | configure: failed program was:
> | /*
> |  * pthread.c:
> |  * Tiny test program to see whether POSIX threads work.
> |  */
> | <source code snipped because you know what it says already>
> |
> | There's not a whole lot of info here -- Function not available could
> | refer to quite a number of functions.
> |
> | Thanks for any time you spend on this, and for the great product that at
> | least I can use elsewhere.
>
> Are you using gcc on HP-UX, or are you using a native HP-UX C/C++
> compiler?

I am using HP's AnsiC compilers. I don't have GCC on this particular
box, but I do have other HP-UX machines that do have it. I'm somewhat
skeptical that that would make a difference, as it seems the compilers
tend to bomb on syntactical errors when it's compiler related, not
libraries.

> I don't think we've had any users attempt to build iftop on HP-UX
> before.  We'll probably need someone with access to an HP-UX box and
> some autoconf-fu to tweak the configure.in file so that it can cope
> with the way an HP-UX system is laid out.

Well, you have someone with root access on many HP-UX boxes, but I don't
really have any autoconf-fu. Autoconf doesn't really seem that difficult
to me, so I'd be willing to give it a shot if I knew the kind of stuff
I'd be trying...

> For example, I'd guess we'd need a -lthreads or some such there in
> order to pick up the threads library, but that will depend on just how
> HP-UX is laid out.

How can I be of best assistance in this particular instance?

- --