[Iftop-users] iftop 0.17 on HP-UX 11i

Jonathan Abbey jonabbey at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:31:49 -0500

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 11:17:22AM -0400, Ryan Novosielski wrote:

| I am using HP's AnsiC compilers. I don't have GCC on this particular
| box, but I do have other HP-UX machines that do have it. I'm somewhat
| skeptical that that would make a difference, as it seems the compilers
| tend to bomb on syntactical errors when it's compiler related, not
| libraries.

Yes, but different compilers do have the potential for taking
different command line arguments to specify where those libraries are
found, and etc.

I also asked because the error message you included in your first
email wasn't familiar to me.  I suppose the 'functions not found'
message was actually generated from the configure shell script.  There
should be a file 'config.log' which actually includes the detritus
from the builds performed by the configure script as it attempts to
verify the environment.

You may find a more informative message in that file, describing what
function or functions could not be found at the link stage.

| > I don't think we've had any users attempt to build iftop on HP-UX
| > before.  We'll probably need someone with access to an HP-UX box and
| > some autoconf-fu to tweak the configure.in file so that it can cope
| > with the way an HP-UX system is laid out.
|=20
| Well, you have someone with root access on many HP-UX boxes, but I don't
| really have any autoconf-fu. Autoconf doesn't really seem that difficult
| to me, so I'd be willing to give it a shot if I knew the kind of stuff
| I'd be trying...

You'd be modifying the configure.in file, to specify new paths or new
library names that should be searched for, and used in the configure
tests.

At least, that's my best guess.  Knowing what that config.log file
said would be very helpful.

| > For example, I'd guess we'd need a -lthreads or some such there in
| > order to pick up the threads library, but that will depend on just how
| > HP-UX is laid out.
|=20
| How can I be of best assistance in this particular instance?

Are there any libraries in your system's standard library paths that
reference the word 'thread' in any form?  libpthreads,
libposixthreads, etc.?

 Jon

--=20
----
Jonathan Abbey 				              jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu
Applied Research Laboratories                 The University of Texas at Au=
stin
GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver pgp.mit.edu, http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey=
.gpg

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e