[Vmail-discuss] problems with vmc

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:17:37 +0300

* Donovan Craig <donovan@snapfrozen.com> [20040922 01:57]: wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 08:07:58PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > The address <derek@etherealdesign.com> ... This address no longer accepts mail.
>
> I don't think Derek is around anymore. He was the original author of
> VMC.

Does that mean he "went home to the Father"?

> > Hello everyone,
>
> Hello
>
> > I am running vmc-0.2.1 and I must say it's really served me well.
> > However, I have some problem that I believe emanates from my stupidity!
> > At some point, there were messages being displayed, for example after
> > you changed a password, it would say something to the effect that the
> > password was changed, when a popbox was deleted, it would display a mesg
> > to that effect. What setting do I require to get the msgs displaying?
> > I am imagining it's something in php.ini
>
> This is probably my (or Derek's) fault, it may require 'register_globals = off' for
> this feature to work.

I checked my php.ini and that value was actually "Off". I remember I
turned this Off some time.

> > Secondly, I attempted to run vmc-0.2.5 but it doesn't seem to work for
> > me at all. When I try to login to manage a domain, it does not login!
>
> Again, this could also be a problem with register globals.

Sure.

> It's been a while since I've done any work on it, but have a look at the
> latest version which is:
>
> www.snapfrozen.com/vmc-latest.tar.bz2

Well, actually, this is what I have been running all along. It was a
mistake when I said I was running the one from
http://www.etherealdesign.com/vmc/ - I am actually running your
code. Sorry for the misrepresentation.

> > How do I diagnose this one?
>
> Try switching register_globals to 'off' in php.ini, if this solves the
> problem let me know and I'll fix it for you.

I actually turned it On for the confirmation messages to work.
The same change also made Derek's version to work as well.
...but it's said that php code should be written such that it does
not require register_globals to be "On", yes?

> BTW: There are actually two versions of the application. The one
> available for download doesn't have IMAP support and the one I use does.
> I need to get around to making this a switch so that the support can be
> switched on and off. In the meantime, are you using IMAP?

My setup supports Maildir but the users I manage with vmail-sql have no
IMAP access. I have tied them to POP3 because I run a funny setup where
I have both virtual as well as system users. It would have been easy for
me to run IMAP if I eliminated the system users, who are the ones who
have IMAP access.

Thank you so much.

BTW, would you be willing to consider merging your project with the
Vexim project (http://silverwraith.com/vexim)?
VMC and Vexim both seem to have the same goals. Vexim2 already handles
domain aliases very well. I remember you once asked that question and
noone responded on the list ;) Just a suggestion, not a step meant to
kill VMC.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
						 --from a /. post