[Vmail-discuss] Courier

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 03:43:13 +0200

Donovan Craig wrote:

>>> Firstly. What happens when using BSD mailboxes ? Do I need to be
>>> using MailDir ?
>> yes, courier supports only maildir, I think.
> Do you know what's involved in changing this on a live system ?

Sure, I did this a while ago. A simple perl script did the job fine, but
there are enough tools for this flying around in the net.

> I suspect that I'll have to re-compile exim and tpop3d etc..

They do not compile with maildir-support by default, so yes.
For exim this is not necessarily needed, if you use procmail or maildrop.
The latter comes with the full-blown courier mailserver and is of course
also available as an extra package, I use it here at home, runs really fine.
And tpop3d... I really like it, but if you have courier up and running, you
don't need it any more.

> I'll probably lose the user data too.. ?

What user data? The mail? Of course not.

> I got this from MySQL by pasting in the logged query. I stoped the
> daemon, then re-started it with -log=mylog.txt, then when to
> re-authenticate with courier and got the query it was trying to
> execute. I then pasted that query into mysql and saw what it brought
> back.

ah, I see. courier's default query is not suitable with vmail-sql, so you
should look for the MYSQL_SELECT_CLAUSE at the end of authmysqlrc.

Maybe you should also try the courier-imap list. I don't read it currently,
but as I remember there were already some poeple trying to do the same.