[Vmail-discuss] popboxes MAX

Paul Warren pdw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:19:06 +0000

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 07:59:45PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > > This sort of things should really be implemented as a DB level
> > > constraint, but I suspect that MySQL doesn't support this (future TODO:
> > > move to postgres :-)
>
> Jesus!... I just learnt the little bits about MySQL from our webmaster so that
> I can implement this and he's still training me. He's not into PostgreSQL.
> Does that mean I am sunk this early????
> Sorry...I hope it can be possible with MySQL, even..

It can be done (and was done previously) when based on MySQL, but it
needs to be implemented by the code before changes are committed to the
database.

Having used both MySQL and PostgreSQL, I prefer Postgres, by MySQL use
is certainly more widespread.

> > It's a possibility....
>
> Only it cannot be right away, in the form of a patch or something??

Changing to Postgres would be a fair amount of work.  Implementing a
limit on POP boxes in Perl can be done with a relatively simple patch.

NB This limit was only ever implemented in the web interface - it was
never in the command line scripts, on the grounds that if you have
access to the command line scripts you can change the pop box limit
anyway...

Paul