[Vmail-discuss] IMAP and vmail-sql

Marcin Sochacki wanted@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:23:12 +0100

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 09:09:00AM +0000, Paul Warren wrote:
> Out of interest, why do you need an IMAP server rather than a POP3
> server?

Because one can find a lot of good webmail applications for IMAP, contrary
to POP3-based ones.

>  Any IMAP server that did support it would be fairly restricted
> - only one mail folder - so there wouldn't be much of a gain over using
> POP3.

Why limit to only one mailfolder? One could have the server create
folders like this:
$folder_path = $mailbox_path . '@' . $folder_name;
e.g. my login is 'wanted' and I have to folders: Sent and Trash:
/var/mail/example.com/wanted@Sent
/var/mail/example.com/wanted@Trash
'@' can be changed to some other character if you want.

> We've talked over the possibilities of doing virtual IMAP accounts a few
> times, but have never come to any stunningly good solutions.

Writing a new IMAP server seems to be quite a big task. But maybe just
adding support for Vmail to some existing IMAP daemon is not that
difficult? Even if it's not as pure solution as writing one from scratch,
it might be very useful feature for ISPs.

Marcin