[Vmail-discuss] IMAP and webmail solutions

Paul Warren pdw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:40:15 +0100

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 12:47:21AM +0200, Marcin Sochacki wrote:
> > An interesting question.  Chris and I are currently developing ReMail, a
> > webmail program based on IMAP (using a proxy to maintain connections
> > during a session).
>
> So how about putting some support to ReMail for POP3/Vmail-SQL?
> Or maybe hacking another webmail software? I suppose my knowledge
> of programming is too shallow...

It shouldn't be too hard to adapt any POP3 based webmail software to do
this.  I would like to put POP3 support in ReMail.  The only problem I
have is that you only get one mail folder, so you don't keep a copy of
any mail that you send, or have any way of filing your mail.  However,
even without this functionality, a simple webmail client would be useful
for checking email when on the move - I know that the UK ISP Demon offer
a read only webmail service for their virtual POP3 boxes.

> IMAP is not really that important, but some webmail would be very nice
> and useful for ISP-type services.

Agree.

Paul