[Vmail-discuss] IMAP and webmail solutions

Paul Warren pdw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 23:38:13 +0100

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 09:26:46PM +0200, Marcin Sochacki wrote:
> Has anyone convinced some IMAP daemon to perform authorization with
> Vmail-SQL? And the same question about webmail application.
>
> In your opinion, which imap and webmail server would be the best solution
> with Vmail-SQL?

An interesting question.  Chris and I are currently developing ReMail, a
webmail program based on IMAP (using a proxy to maintain connections
during a session).

Naturally, one of the things that we would like to do is integrate it
with vmail-sql.  The problem with this is that either we base it on
POP3, and have only one folder per user, or we need to hack an IMAP
daemon to do virtual email stuff.  IMAP is considerably more complicated
than POP3, and implementing this is a fairly serious undertaking...

Paul