[Vmail-discuss] Concerns

Chris Lightfoot chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:24:57 +0100

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 03:10:30PM -0500, Jeff wrote:
> Here are the problems I have:
>
> Still unable to 'build' the gnu-pop3d
>
> vmail-sql.c:30: unterminated `#if' conditional
> make: *** [vmail-sql.o] Error 1

I *strongly* recommend that you use tpop3d, not gnu-pop3d.
gnu-pop3d is badly broken, and should not be used for any
purpose.

If you have a very good reason not to, I will have a look
at the patch and see why it is not doing its thing
correctly, but you should not take this as suggesting that
the gnu-pop3d patch is supported.

> 4. User Configuration
>
> Clearly this is a matter of site policy, but however you handle it you
> will need a set of scripts to manipulate records in the database. VE-* in
> this distribution handle this, in a fairly naive way. You will need the DBI
> and DBD::mysql modules for perl to make these go.
>
> What do i do with these files ?

VE-* are a set of command-line tools for configuring
things. For instance, to set up a new virtual domain, you
would do something like

    VE-domain add example.com

then

    E-passwd example.com <password>

to set a password; having done this, the domain can be
configured from the web control panel.

The DBI and DBD modules are libraries which add support to
perl for accessing the MySQL database.

> "The contents of docs should be at the DocumentRoot for the
> web server."
>
> There are only two files in docs/
> std.css and vmail-logo.jpg no index files, also why would i want this as my
> document root when that would essentially disable my website ? Just doesn't
> make sense to me.

No, you've misunderstood this.

std.css and vmail-logo.jpg are referenced by the CGI
scripts; they should be at the root of your webserver
(i.e., so that they can be referenced as
http://example.com/std.css etc.) but this does not affect
the existing files. Unless you already have files called
std.css and vmail-logo.jpg, of course. There is no reason
to alter the existing content on your web server (other
than to include links to the control panel application).

These files exist so that you can customise the `look and
feel' of the web control panel for your site. You can also
edit the script to alter the HTML which is generated.

You may well wish to set up a virtual web server for this
stuff anyway, but you do not need to.

> "The lib and cgi-bin directories must be at the same level."
> Can you explain this (maybe draw a picture) debian puts the /cgi-bin for
> apache in /usr/lib/cgi-bin

So, for instance, you might put the files in

    /web/SERVERS/mailconfig.example.com/lib

and
    /web/SERVERS/mailconfig.example.com/cgi-bin

All the requirement means is that, in /some/path/lib,
`../cgi-bin/' refers to a directory containing the CGI
scripts.

> I just get internal server error when accessing any /cgi-bin/vmail/files

What is in /var/log/apache/error.log? Have you set up the
files as described above?

--
Chris Lightfoot -- www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/
 ``Smile,'' someone said. ``It could be worse.'' So I did, and it was.