[Vmail-discuss] vmail-sql mailing list

Mark Longair mhl@xxxxxxxxx
12 Apr 2001 18:59:15 +0100

Chris Lightfoot <chris@ex-parrot.com> writes:
[...]
> [off topic]
> How does the stable/unstable thing work? If I want to
> install, say, a version of OpenSSH that doesn't suck, I
> presumably need one from unstable; but I expect that if I
> do that apt will want to fetch innumerable new shared
> libraries etc.

Indeed, this is the case with the version of apt in stable, and it's
very annoying.

Later versions of apt have this sorted out in a fairly good way.
Basically, you can specify your default release in /etc/apt/apt.conf
(say, "stable") and then type:

   apt-get install gnapster/testing

... to start tracking the gnapster from "testing".  I just tried this
today for the first time, and it seems to work well.  Unfortunately, to
start using this feature, you really want to do `apt-get install
apt/testing'.  :-(