[tpop3d-discuss] Re: Long Login delay

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:41:55 +0000

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 04:37:28PM +0100, Ian Armstrong=A0 wrote:
> I am having trouble understanding the "listen-address" directive in the
> "tpop3d.conf" file. The man page for tpop3d.conf says:
>=20
>               to  accept  incoming  connections  and  associate  them w=
ith
> the
>               proper domains.  Note that for this to work, all  interfa=
ces
>  on
>               which  connections  are  to  be  accepted  must have
> functioning
>               inverse name resolution; also, in this case, tpop3d  will=
=20
> do  a
>               name lookup for each incoming connection, which may block=
 in
> the
>               event of a DNS failure. You may wish to create some  othe=
r=20
> map-
>               ping  --  perhaps  in /etc/hosts -- to ensure that this d=
oes
> not
>               occur.
>=20
> I think this is what is slowing my connection down. tpop3d is doing a D=
NS
> lookup for every connection. I only serve email for one domain
> "expressmail.dk" and the pop server runs on localhost.
>=20
> My listen address is set to this:
>=20
> listen-address: 0.0.0.0(expressmail.dk)
>=20
> My network functions normally.

No, that's only in the context of setting a regular
expression for the domain. But tpop3d may also do reverse
DNS queries if you use tcpwrappers.

--=20
``Of course, it doesn't matter much where you live south of the river the=
se
  days. Under the New London Plan, they're going to lump all those areas
  together... and call them Brighton.'' (Flanders and Swann)