[tpop3d-discuss] Re: Long Login delay

Ian Armstrong  ika at expressmail.dk
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:37:28 +0100 (CET)

I am having trouble understanding the "listen-address" directive in the
"tpop3d.conf" file. The man page for tpop3d.conf says:

              to  accept  incoming  connections  and  associate  them with
the
              proper domains.  Note that for this to work, all  interfaces
 on
              which  connections  are  to  be  accepted  must have
functioning
              inverse name resolution; also, in this case, tpop3d  will
do  a
              name lookup for each incoming connection, which may block in
the
              event of a DNS failure. You may wish to create some  other
map-
              ping  --  perhaps  in /etc/hosts -- to ensure that this does
not
              occur.

I think this is what is slowing my connection down. tpop3d is doing a DNS
lookup for every connection. I only serve email for one domain
"expressmail.dk" and the pop server runs on localhost.

My listen address is set to this:

listen-address: 0.0.0.0(expressmail.dk)

My network functions normally.

Ian.