[tpop3d-discuss] Case problems during checikng mailbox

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:55:07 +0000

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 06:42:31PM +0100, Wiktor Zgodzi=F1ski wrote:
> I'm using tpop3d 1.4.2  with auth_mysql and with my own db. All is fine=
,
> but today I notice following problem.
>=20
> If user give his account name in different case ex:
> John.Smith@domain.com (spool dir for him is called
> /var/spool/mail/domain.com/john.simith) tpop3d log him in, but saying
> that there is no message for user. Of course there are few message and
> if user logs as john.smith@domain.com he gets his messages.
>=20
> What should I fix to resolve this problem. May be I didn't  read
> documentation carefully. ? Just tell me that.

Your database is doing a case-insensitive compare. Cf.

    http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Case_Sensitivity_Operators.html

Two obvious fixes: either do a case-sensitive compare on
username, or cast the results through lcase(). See the
MySQL manual for more on this.

--=20
``Fog In Channel: Continent Cut Off'' (newspaper headline, c. 1905)