[tpop3d-discuss] some minor remarks about tpop3d 1.5.3

Manuel Giorgini Manuel Giorgini <giorgini at interlogica.net>
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:59:21 +0100

I have installed tpop3d v1.5.3 on a new box (rh9) in an
exim/vmail-sql/tpop3d scenario, with the following configure-settings

./configure --disable-auth-pam
            --enable-auth-passwd
            --enable-shadow-passwd
            --enable-auth-mysql
            --enable-fcntl-locking
            --enable-dotfile-locking
            --disable-snide-comments
            --with-mysql-include-dir=/usr/include/mysql
            --with-mysql-lib-dir=/usr/lib/mysql
            --sysconfdir=/etc

And I have found out the following:

1. (very minor, maybe useless) the provided file "tpop3d" in init.d/
doesn't seem to be influenced by configure/make, despite the presence of a
Makefile there. After having compiled everything, it still had a wrong path
for the executable file (/software/sbin/tpop3d; which is strange because a
"make install" would surely be able to know in which directory it will end
up), and the file itself was pre-configured to launch a secure version of
tpop3d which I didn't request in the configuration.

2. (a bit more interesting). At first I forgot to create the 'vmail' user
and, of course, mysql authentication didn't succeed. The -v -d log output
however proved that the following bug:

http://lists.beasts.org/pipermail/tpop3d-discuss/2001-November/001406.html

.. is still present.

------[cut here]-------------------
auth_mysql_new_user_pass: SQL query: SELECT concat(domain.path, '/',
popbox.mbox_name), popbox.password_hash, domain.unix_user, 'bsd' FROM
popbox, domain WHEREpopbox.local_part = 'test' AND popbox.domain_name =
'domain.com' AND popbox.domain_name = domain.domain_name

+--------------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+-----------+-----+
| concat(domain.path, '/', popbox.mbox_name) | password_hash                         | unix_user | bsd |
+--------------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+-----------+-----+
| /var/spool/mail/SERVERS/domain.com/test    | {md5}098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6 | vmail     | bsd |
+--------------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+-----------+-----+

auth_mysql_new_user_pass: unix user `bsd' for [test; test@domain.com] does not make sense

I checked auth_mysql.c and indeed in lines 270 and 370, there is a row[3]
where a row[2] would seem to be more appropriate.

I apologize in case such problems were already fixed in the cvs version.

In the end however it works :-) Thanks again.

Cordialità / Best regards / Gxis la
Manuel Giorgini <giorgini@interlogica.net>, Programmatore
INTERLOGICA e-business solutions -  http://www.interlogica.net
Via De Amicis, 2 - IT 30172 Mestre VE - Italia - Unione Europea
Tel +39 041 961392 - Fax +39 041 954201