[tpop3d-discuss] serious problem with STAT response

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:53:06 +0100

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 04:33:11PM +0200, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> I've recently switched into tpop3d 1.5.1 on our production server to get TLS
> working (and it's working well) but there is another problem. Outlook client
> doesn't fetch any mail!

there should have been a

  POP3: ........ [rx] +OK <...@...>

first -- was one sent by tpop3d?

> POP3: 16:06:22 [tx] USER xyz
> POP3: 16:06:22 [rx] +OK

Are you sure there was nothing after +OK?

> POP3: 16:06:22 [tx] PASS **********
> POP3: 16:06:22 [rx] +OK Tell me your password.
> POP3: 16:06:22 [tx] STAT
> POP3: 16:06:23 [rx] +OK Welcome aboard! You have 70 messages.
> POP3: 16:06:23 [tx] QUIT

`+OK Welcome aboard!...' isn't a STAT response, it's the
banner printed by the server when a user logs in. The
above listing is out-of-sequence; `+OK Tell me your
password' should follow `USER xyz' and `+OK Welcome aboard
should follow PASS'. I don't understand where the first
`+OK' came from. Can you tell me more about the Outlook
configuration here?

--
``After 9/11, Bush made two statements: 1. Terrorists hate America because
  America is a land of freedom and opportunity; 2. We intend to attack the root