[tpop3d-discuss] STATUS: header

Ben Schumacher ben at blahr.com
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 11:42:31 -0600

I certainly don't intend to speak for Chris on this issue, but this may
be difficult. As tpop3d uses MMAP to transfer data from a mail message
from the file system to the socket, it is probably not easy to modify
the content of the message during this transition. Doing this is
incredibly efficient, and is part of the reason that tpop3d is one of
the fastest POP3 servers that I've ever used.

While POP3 clients are having problems as a result of the lack of a
status header? What are they relying on the status header for?

It is possible (its just code, after all) to modify this behavior, but
you would probably sacrifice speed in doing so. I'm sure this could be
included as an optional feature, if you felt like writing the code and
contributing it back to the project.

Hope this helps,

bs.