[tpop3d-discuss] Tpop3d over NFS with Maildir: New mail files not immeditately seen?

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:10:07 +0000

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 06:09:07PM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> If Paul M. is reading this -- did you put in the
> check-for-newer-files thing, or is it mine? I can't quite
> think why it's there....

I was asking myself that same question! Looking back, it's something
that happens in qmail-pop3d whence I drew some inspiration. I vaguely
recall understanding why at the time but don't recall any more. To add
further mystery, no-one on this thread knows either,

http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/thread.php3?subject=Vpopmail%2Bqmail+pop3+has+lost+it%27s+mind%21&list=513

So in summary: I have no idea.

It's a toss-up then I suppose between adding an entry in the FAQ saying,

Q. tpop3d allows a user to log in fine, the MTA is delivering
   successfully, and indeed the messages are there. So why is tpop3d not
   showing messages?

A1. Make sure the times are synchronised for the server that tpop3d is
    running on and the server that the MTA is delivering on,
    presumably over NFS.

A2. Because of something in the code no-one understands :-)

...and commenting it out and seeing what happens.

Paul

PS Incidently, the *only* comment in all of qmail/maildir.c is on this
   exact subject. /* don't want to mix up the order */ ...

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is a room above a basement? Try weeding instead."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/