[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d domain stripping?

Dom Gallagher dgallagher at starnetusa.net
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:01:00 -0600

At 21:53 3/14/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 03:45:53PM -0600, Dom Gallagher wrote:
> > We're currently using tpop3d in a virtualhost context, and it happily
> > accepts user@domain or just plain user, by appending the domain
> > (append_domain).
> >
> > We'd like to replace cucipop on a couple of machines, but have been using
> > cucipop's 'feature' of ignoring domains for authentication.  Is there a
> > 'strip_domain' or similar functionality that we could be using to
> > automatically remove the domain before authenticating?  These users are
> > authenticating from the system password file, and that isn't going to
> > change.
>
>Not exactly, though it would be easy either to modify
>tpop3d or to write a perl authenticator to do this. At
>present the two local account authenticators use the
>username as supplied by the client, and won't try to
>authenticate users who've supplied a domain; this could be
>changed by altering the code in auth_pam and auth_passwd.c

Went one better; added strip-domain functionality (we REALLY need this to
be a  run-time option, not a compile-time one).  I've fully tested this on
Linux and Solaris with passwd+shadow auth, but not APOP (not exactly sure
what uses this, so not too bothered about offering the
functionality).  APOP support for strip-domain is coded in and doesn't give
warnings or anything, so I left it in (someone may want to test ;).

I'd really like this functionality to make it into the core tpop3d so I
don't hae to patch when a new version comes out, but I can't find any
reference to patch submissions.  I've got diffs against stock 1.3.5; where
should I post em?

Incidentally, your website mentions POP3Lite. Visiting their website is
informative:
POP3Lite development stopped, it may or may not work, there's no guarantee.
Gergely Nagy \ mhp/|8]