[tpop3d-discuss] New features ?

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 16:12:18 +0000

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:41:38PM +0100, Yann GROSSEL wrote:

> I was wondering about some new features that I'd like to see
> in tpop3d. Perhaps you can tell me what you think about them :
>
> - support for Maildir++ folders and perhaps Maildir++ soft
>   quotas ? (I think this maildir extension has been interoduced
>   by the Courier suite, see
>   http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/README.maildirquota.html)
>   Of course as the POP3 protocol doesn't support folders, the
>   new feature would be used to allow access to *all* messages
>   in a user mailbox using POP, instead of only giving access to
>   messages in the INBOX folder.

Interesting. I don't think that tpop3d needs to interact
at all with the soft quotas since the only operation in
POP3 which alters the size of the mailbox is DELE.

I'm not certain that making the contents of every folder
in a maildir++ is sensible, since it may break user
expectations about how folders behave (the `principle of
least surprise'). But it's a possibility.

> - a setproctitle() a la sendmail to have tpop3d fork()ed children
>   display as "tpop3d: login@domain.com logged from ppp1-2.isp.com"
>   (for instance) when using 'ps' or 'top' commands.

OK, that's a good idea. I'll add that to the TODO list....

> - a new (optional of course) SQL query to log wrong (login, password)
>   attempts. I'm working for an ISP and a lot of our customers call us because
>   they have problems accessing their mailboxes. Currently I have to run
>   (t)ethereal or tcpdump on our pop server to figure out what their problem
>   is. A log of wrong attempts would be much simplier to examine.

Errm. What's wrong with the log entries in syslog?

> If you think some of these features may be interesting, I'd be happy to work
> on them - but unfortunately my schedule is overbooked for now so I can't
> promise you anything soon :(

I shan't have much time to do any of this until early next
year in any case.

--
`Canada: Labyrinth of Death' (title of television documentary)