[tpop3d-discuss] New features ?

Yann GROSSEL olrick at phear.org
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:41:38 +0100

Hello people,

I was wondering about some new features that I'd like to see
in tpop3d. Perhaps you can tell me what you think about them :

- support for Maildir++ folders and perhaps Maildir++ soft
  quotas ? (I think this maildir extension has been interoduced
  by the Courier suite, see
  http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/README.maildirquota.html)
  Of course as the POP3 protocol doesn't support folders, the
  new feature would be used to allow access to *all* messages
  in a user mailbox using POP, instead of only giving access to
  messages in the INBOX folder.

- a setproctitle() a la sendmail to have tpop3d fork()ed children
  display as "tpop3d: login@domain.com logged from ppp1-2.isp.com"
  (for instance) when using 'ps' or 'top' commands.

- a new (optional of course) SQL query to log wrong (login, password)
  attempts. I'm working for an ISP and a lot of our customers call us because
  they have problems accessing their mailboxes. Currently I have to run
  (t)ethereal or tcpdump on our pop server to figure out what their problem
  is. A log of wrong attempts would be much simplier to examine.

If you think some of these features may be interesting, I'd be happy to work
on them - but unfortunately my schedule is overbooked for now so I can't
promise you anything soon :(

Regards,

Yann GROSSEL