[tpop3d-discuss] MySQL problems

Chris Elsworth chris at shagged.org
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:18:23 +0000

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 05:11:13PM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 03:39:36PM +0000, Chris Elsworth wrote:
> > Hiya,
> >
> > Just tinkering with 1.4.1pre1, and I'm experiencing strange
> > intermittent MySQL failures.
> >
> > One user can authenticate, but most others can't.
> >
> > Here's a failed authentication (make your terminal wide) :)
>
>     [...]
> > auth_mysql_new_user_pass: unix user `bsd' for test@dmeon.net does not make sense
>
> Ah. There is an error in the code which prints this error
> message -- it's printing the wrong field. On line 586 of
> auth_mysql.c,

> and similarly in the APOP function. I will correct this.
>
> It looks to me as if only one user's unix user database
> field corresponds to a real user. Have you verified that?

Aha :) I was so caught up in wondering what it meant by unix user `bsd'
does not make sense, I didn't even realise what exactly I was supposed to
be passing it for that field - I was passing it the username that was
being logged in, when it was supposed to be the userid to run the process
under :)

Realised what I was doing wrong pretty much as soon as the logging error
was pointed out - still, at least we found a bug :)

Cheers!

--
Chris Elsworth  -  Software & Systems Developer  /  Systems Administrator