[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d w/TLS

Ben Schumacher ben at blahr.com
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:18:16 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Chris Elsworth wrote:
> Just wanted to say nice one. Especially once its working 100% (entire
> session via TLS).

This should be really easy to implement. The POP3S port is a well-known
port at 995. It should be really simple to make the server just listen to
that port and then wait for a SSL/TLS handshake before even starting the
POP3 communications.

Honestly, the code is pretty simple. I'm not positive if it will work with
ever client yet, either, since I've only tested with Eudora. It appears
that the Microsoft clients can only be used with the alternate
port. I think I'll go ahead and try to implement this, as well. I
just didn't feel like playing with the connection stuffs when I
first started poking around in the code.

Ben