[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d w/TLS

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 18:49:37 +0000

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 10:57:50AM -0700, Ben Schumacher wrote:
> After a couple late nights of hacking and a lot of beating my head against
> the wall, I got TLS working with tpop3d. Right now, it only support STLS
> -- starting TLS after an unencrypted connection has already been
> established on 110 -- but I think it would be pretty simple to get it to
> support pop3s, or SSL to start with over port 995.
>
> The code probably needs some cleanup and sanity checking, but I used
> OpenSSL, so it should be fairly portable. I don't know a lot about setting
> up autoconf scripts, so I haven't modified configure.in to have a
> --with-openssl option, or the like.
>
> So far the code has only been configured to mbox, and not mdir. The
> reason for this is that the send_message function expects a socket, so I
> had to add a special tls_send_message function to mbox that accepts an
> SSL type. If anybody's interested, I could diff what I have and post it to
> the list for you.
>
> Just wanted to give everybody a heads up that it is possible and not all
> that difficult to get TLS working with tpop3d!

Wow. This is on the TODO list, but I didn't think I'd get
around to it any time soon. I'd welcome a copy of the
patch if you're happy to have your code in the
distribution and I'll see what needs to be done to clean
the interface up a bit.

--
 In view of the fact that God limited man's intelligence,
 it is a pity that He did not also limit his stupidity (Adenauer)