[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d w/TLS

Paul Warren pdw at ex-parrot.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 18:36:07 +0000

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 10:57:50AM -0700, Ben Schumacher wrote:
> After a couple late nights of hacking and a lot of beating my head against
> the wall, I got TLS working with tpop3d.

Have you considered using something like sslwrap?  This is what we use
to add SSL support to tpop3d and other services.   sslwrap listens on a
port, does the (en|de)cryption and then forwards to a conventional
daemon on another port.

Admittedly there is going to be a small performance hit from starting up
a separate process and a separate TCP connection, but I think that if
you're using software SSL then performance is Something That Happens to
Other People anyway...

Paul