[tpop3d-discuss] MySQL Authentication

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 20:26:24 +0100

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 12:17:25PM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 12:34:11AM +0100, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 04:20:38PM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > > might be a consideration for some (that aim was one of my origin reasons
> > > for selecting it).
> >
> > Yeah, that's one of the stated aims :)
> >
> > Certainly, the time taken to index mailspools is going to
> > be far longer, even for maildir.
>
> That's true. I guess I sometimes forget applications might actually be
> doing something besides retrieving and committing information to a
> database :-)

Well... that _is_ all it's doing, in the
everything's-a-database model of mailboxes. I note that
there are people (for instance, those wacky folks at Ars
Digita) who store mailboxes in relational databases. This
would be a fairly simple hack to tpop3d, though I can't
see much purpose for it. It would, perhaps, be more useful
for an IMAP server, since you could then do
virtual-domains webmail very readily.

> > ISTR your talking about a syntax for generalising database
> > queries in the exim config file. Do you propose to carry
> > this over to tpop3d, and if so what syntax are you
> > thinking of?
>
> Right now exim allows you to put arbitrary SQL inside the query string
> with its own peculiar brand of ${variable_interpolation}. This string is
    [... bound variables with ? ...]

Could you not do the prepare-bind stuff automatically;
that is, when you first see

    SELECT foo FROM bar WHERE baz = ${quux}

identify that you need to treat ${quux} as an insertion
variable and prepare

    SELECT foo FROM bar WHERE baz = ?

then save these, and use the right one when it comes up?
This would mean that you don't need to explicitly prepare
statements, which would be a Big Win.

OOI, how expensive is setting up a connection to the
Oracle client library? From what I understand of the Exim
architecture, it re-execs itself at the drop of a hat,
pretty much....

> It seems that exim's had a feature freeze with v3.30 so that's either a
> good thing or a bad thing depending on how long v4.0 takes to ship. Oh
> well.

Interesting. I didn't know that.... I see also that Phil
Hazel has written a book, which might be worth a look I
guess.

--
Chris Lightfoot -- www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/
 Blow your mind. Smoke gunpowder.