[tpop3d-discuss] MySQL Authentication

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 12:17:25 -0700

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 12:34:11AM +0100, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 04:20:38PM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > might be a consideration for some (that aim was one of my origin reasons
> > for selecting it).
>
> Yeah, that's one of the stated aims :)
>
> Certainly, the time taken to index mailspools is going to
> be far longer, even for maildir.

That's true. I guess I sometimes forget applications might actually be
doing something besides retrieving and committing information to a
database :-)

> ISTR your talking about a syntax for generalising database
> queries in the exim config file. Do you propose to carry
> this over to tpop3d, and if so what syntax are you
> thinking of?

Right now exim allows you to put arbitrary SQL inside the query string
with its own peculiar brand of ${variable_interpolation}. This string is
"expanded" (in the exim terminology, i.e. variables filled in) and
passed off to the underlying database API. My only extension to this was
to provide bound variables so that an SQL query could be prepared &
cached, and then queried with different data. e.g. "select genus,
species from menagerie where bird = ?" and then when the statement is
executed, it's passed a variable which is bound to the "?" (Oracle's
syntax is a bit different but most people are more familiar with the ?
so I'd probably use that.)

It seems that exim's had a feature freeze with v3.30 so that's either a
good thing or a bad thing depending on how long v4.0 takes to ship. Oh
well.

Answering the actual question: I'm not sure yet. I thought I had
something and then realized it broke one form of exim's string
expansion. The v4.0 might be different altho' I'd need to check. Oh, and
actually remember all this stuff...

Paul