[LordsReform-core]Re: okay...

Liam Wren-Lewis liamwrenlewis at cantab.net
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:45:16 +0100

Hey, cheers for response.

> > key question to be resolved in my mind is do we want to be blatantly
> > campaigning, like the elect the lords thing.  Can't quite decide - yes
> > makes our lives easier, no might make us seem less like a joke.
>
> I think we want to be blatant that we're campaigning for something
> democratic and sensible.

What about to include something in the aims, along with to consider
this and that democratic defecit, also to
consider/advocate-the-serious-discussion-of jury/jury-type-systems?

> A propos, I'm delighted to see that the ECJ has
> recently ruled that the UK must restore the right to vote to serving
> prisoners ...

Yes, was great news.  Presumably they're not allowed to serve on
juries though, and so wouldn't be allowed out into the house of lords.

Also heard interstign anecdote that apparently if you get arrested in
the palace of westminster (by the super-butlers) then you have to be
tried in the HOL.  Don't know if this is true, but surely another
argument to have a 'jury' on hand...