[LordsReform-core]Re: okay...

Mark Wainwright maw13 at cantab.net
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:10:26 +0100 (BST)

Hi Liam,

> key question to be resolved in my mind is do we want to be blatantly
> campaigning, like the elect the lords thing.  Can't quite decide - yes
> makes our lives easier, no might make us seem less like a joke.

I think we want to be blatant that we're campaigning for something
democratic and sensible. Like you I'm not sure how blatant to be that
we've one preferred solution. I think the answer is not completely, if
only because it would be nice to be able to talk about things like the
"Allot" system (local juries are empanelled to interview and elect
lords). I'm open to suggestions.

> On the positive side, I did briefly talk about the idea with Lord
> McNally this evening, and he seemed fairly open to the idea.

Super! Perhaps this is the Lib Dem orthodoxy of the future (-:

> Only
> problem he sited was that, like the lottery, the tabloids will go wild
> when someone really disreputable (former rapist, etc) gets on there.
> But clearly nt a big issue...

It is an issue, but it just jolly well has to be faced out without
getting defensive. Former rapists are people too. Not that I need to
explain this to you. A propos, I'm delighted to see that the ECJ has
recently ruled that the UK must restore the right to vote to serving
prisoners ...

On the plus side I look forward to the Sun taking up our campaign when
they discover that it will turn 100 Sun readers into peers of the realm.

Cheerio,

Mark

PS The wiki automatically does version control i.e. keeps all old
versions, so don't worry about possibly doing something destructive.