[Iftop-users] Outputting iftop to a file

Andy Wolin andywolin at gmail.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:48:53 -0600

--e89a8f234713f8877604ca7c1100

I used bwmng to poll every .5 seconds and record the data in .csv format.
The data was then consumed by gnuplot to make a graph.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bwmng/

andy

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Paul Warren <pdw@ex-parrot.com> wrote:

> On 24/09/2012 17:08, Jonathan Abbey wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:51:08 -0500, Shannon Rodrigues wrote:
>> | Hi Jon,
>> |
>> | Thank you for your reply.
>> | In my typical setup, I want a tool which will display download rates of
>> | particular user/ subnet. I am configuring download limiting rules to
>> user/
>> | subnet but unfortunately have no tool to verify whether the config is
>> | working or not.
>>
>> iftop doesn't know anything about what user is communicating, it just
>> shows what ports and IP addresses are involved.
>>
>> | Manually checking output of iftop is helpful, but I would like to push
>> the
>> | output to a file so that I could verify this at the end of the day.
>> Getting
>> | it listed by ports is not a necessity. Traffic to and from will solve my
>> | purpose.
>> | I would like the output of download rate of a user/ subnet to be
>> written to
>> | a file for lets say a 5 second interval.
>>
>> Couldn't you use netstat (or ss, on more modern Linuxes) for that?  Or
>> tcpdump with some after the fact filtering?
>>
>> iftop's claim to fame is real time curses-style graphing of traffic,
>> there are plenty of tools for doing statistics gathering that would be
>> more suitable for generating reports.
>>

> I did actually do a bit of work on having iftop dump stats to a file for a
> particular project that I had.
>
> I don't intend to ever release it, and as Jon says, other tools are almost
> certainly a better starting point, but if you're particularly interested
> have a look at iftop-dump in CVS.
>
> Paul

--e89a8f234713f8877604ca7c1100

I used bwmng to poll every .5 seconds and record the data in .csv format.=
=A0 The data was then consumed by gnuplot to make a graph.<br><br><a href=
=3D"http://sourceforge.net/projects/bwmng/">http://sourceforge.net/projects=
/bwmng/</a><br>
1 AM, Paul Warren <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pdw@ex-parrot.com=
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid=
;padding-left:1ex">
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:51:08 -0500, Shannon Rodrigues wrote:<br>
| Hi Jon,<br>
| Thank you for your reply.<br>
| In my typical setup, I want a tool which will display download rates of a=
| particular user/ subnet. I am configuring download limiting rules to user=
/<br>
| subnet but unfortunately have no tool to verify whether the config is<br>
| working or not.<br>
iftop doesn&#39;t know anything about what user is communicating, it just<b=
r>
shows what ports and IP addresses are involved.<br>
| Manually checking output of iftop is helpful, but I would like to push th=
e<br>
| output to a file so that I could verify this at the end of the day. Getti=
ng<br>
| it listed by ports is not a necessity. Traffic to and from will solve my<=
br>
| purpose.<br>
| I would like the output of download rate of a user/ subnet to be written =
to<br>
| a file for lets say a 5 second interval.<br>
Couldn&#39;t you use netstat (or ss, on more modern Linuxes) for that? =A0O=
r<br>
tcpdump with some after the fact filtering?<br>
iftop&#39;s claim to fame is real time curses-style graphing of traffic,<br=

there are plenty of tools for doing statistics gathering that would be<br>
more suitable for generating reports.<br>
I did actually do a bit of work on having iftop dump stats to a file for a =
particular project that I had.<br>
I don&#39;t intend to ever release it, and as Jon says, other tools are alm=
ost certainly a better starting point, but if you&#39;re particularly inter=
ested have a look at iftop-dump in CVS.<span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=
=3D"#888888"><br>