[Iftop-users] Outputting iftop to a file

Shannon Rodrigues shannon.rodrigues at paladion.net
Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:50:39 +0530

--14dae9ccdaee823c0204ca80b498

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your reply.
There seems to be some mis-understanding here.
I am looking for a tool wherein I can view download speeds of a particular
user/ subnet.
iftop does provide me that but writing the output to a file is almost
difficult to understand.

My requirement is not to know what the users are communicating.
Just the total download speed is what I am looking for, but for a
particular user/ subnet.
vmstat gives me the WAN link download speed, but it does not solve my
purpose.

Thanks and regards,
Shannon R

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Jonathan Abbey
<jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu>wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:51:08 -0500, Shannon Rodrigues wrote:
> | Hi Jon,
> |
> | Thank you for your reply.
> | In my typical setup, I want a tool which will display download rates of a
> | particular user/ subnet. I am configuring download limiting rules to
> user/
> | subnet but unfortunately have no tool to verify whether the config is
> | working or not.
>
> iftop doesn't know anything about what user is communicating, it just
> shows what ports and IP addresses are involved.
>
> | Manually checking output of iftop is helpful, but I would like to push
> the
> | output to a file so that I could verify this at the end of the day.
> Getting
> | it listed by ports is not a necessity. Traffic to and from will solve my
> | purpose.
> | I would like the output of download rate of a user/ subnet to be written
> | a file for lets say a 5 second interval.
>
> Couldn't you use netstat (or ss, on more modern Linuxes) for that?  Or
> tcpdump with some after the fact filtering?
>
> iftop's claim to fame is real time curses-style graphing of traffic,
> there are plenty of tools for doing statistics gathering that would be
> more suitable for generating reports.
>
>  Jon
>
> --

> Jonathan Abbey
> jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu
> Applied Research Laboratories                 The University of Texas at
> Austin
> GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver pgp.mit.edu,
> http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey.gpg

--14dae9ccdaee823c0204ca80b498

rstanding here.<br>I am looking for a tool wherein I can view download spee=
ds of a particular user/ subnet.<br>iftop does provide me that but writing =
the output to a file is almost difficult to understand.<br>
 the total download speed is what I am looking for, but for a particular us=
er/ subnet.<br>vmstat gives me the WAN link download speed, but it does not=
 solve my purpose.<br>
on, Sep 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Jonathan Abbey <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu" target=3D"_blank">jonabbey@arlut.utex=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:51:=
08 -0500, Shannon Rodrigues wrote:<br>
| Hi Jon,<br>
| Thank you for your reply.<br>
| In my typical setup, I want a tool which will display download rates of a=
| particular user/ subnet. I am configuring download limiting rules to user=
/<br>
| subnet but unfortunately have no tool to verify whether the config is<br>
| working or not.<br>
just<br>
shows what ports and IP addresses are involved.<br>
| Manually checking output of iftop is helpful, but I would like to push th=
e<br>
| output to a file so that I could verify this at the end of the day. Getti=
ng<br>
| it listed by ports is not a necessity. Traffic to and from will solve my<=
br>
| purpose.<br>
| I would like the output of download rate of a user/ subnet to be written =
to<br>
| a file for lets say a 5 second interval.<br>
? =A0Or<br>
tcpdump with some after the fact filtering?<br>
iftop&#39;s claim to fame is real time curses-style graphing of traffic,<br=

there are plenty of tools for doing statistics gathering that would be<br>
more suitable for generating reports.<br>
=A0Jon<br>
--<br>
----<br>
Jonathan Abbey =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0<a href=3D"mailto:jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu">jonabbey@ar=
lut.utexas.edu</a><br>
Applied Research Laboratories =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 The Universit=
y of Texas at Austin<br>
GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver <a href=3D"http://pgp.mit.edu" target=3D"_bl=
ank">pgp.mit.edu</a>, <a href=3D"http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey.gpg" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey.gpg</a><br>