[Iftop-users] Re: iftop error on Solaris 8 SPARC

Jonathan Abbey jonabbey at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:21:40 -0500

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 07:00:17AM +0200, Olivier, W. (Wim) wrote:
|    Hi Jonathan,
|
|    Thanks for the reply.  The IT guys here are paranoid so they block almost
|    everything.  The 'detector' is probably running on an Microsoft O/S....no
|    comment.
|
|    Anyway, I did download the required binaries and versions from
|    www.sunfreeware.com for Solaris 8 SPARC.
|
|    Here is the output of the 'ldd' command you said I could try:
|
|    bash-2.03# ldd /usr/local/sbin/iftop
|            libpcap.so =>    /usr/local/lib/libpcap.so
|            libnsl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
|            libm.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libm.so.1
|            libsocket.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
|            libncurses.so.5 =>       /usr/local/lib/libncurses.so.5
|            libpthread.so.1 =>       /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1
|            libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
|            libresolv.so.2 =>        /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2
|            libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
|            libmp.so.2 =>    /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
|            libthread.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libthread.so.1
|            /usr/platform/SUNW,Sun-Blade-100/lib/libc_psr.so.1
|
|    It could find all required libraries and their versions.  Here is the
|    longer version:
|
|    Do you know of anything else I can try do debug with besides downloading
|    other versions of the libpcap library or building from source?

I believe you can do 'nm' on /usr/local/lib/libpcap.so to see what
symbols that shared library is exporting, but that won't fix anything,
it'll just give you confirmation that a function or global variable
that you depend on isn't being exported from the library.

I ran ldd on my copy of iftop which I built from sources, and it
doesn't even use libpcap as a shared library.  I think it might have
got treated as a static library at link time, so I can't really give
you any good advice as to what the libpcap.so library should be
exporting in the way of symbols.

Building from source isn't that hard, I'd recommend that, really, if
you have access to a compiler and such on your system.

 Jon

|    Thanks,
|    Wim Olivier

Jonathan Abbey 				              jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu
Applied Research Laboratories                 The University of Texas at Austin
GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver pgp.mit.edu, http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey.gpg