[Iftop-users] iftop: scaling, 1024 base, patch

richard lucassen reply4 at lucassen.org
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:18:10 +0100

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:35:55 +0200
Aidas Kasparas <a.kasparas@gmc.lt> wrote:

> > What about the option e.g. "-m 1536k"?
>
> OK, that option works, but is not allways convienient:
>   -- it requires either extra typing every time or use of extra
> script/alias;
>   -- it is one extra thing to tell to a person to whom you introduce
>   iftop; -- it is one more thing to maintain when one changes speeds
>   (agree,
> not a everyday activity, but if you support a lot of people to whom
> you're not an ISP, and they tend to enter commands letter by letter,
> how you wrote them, catching wrong limit is a nuisance).

use ~/.iftoprc, you'll find an example here:

http://tech3.cam.nl/download/linux/iftop/

And rename it to .iftoprc.

> On the other hand, I do not propose significant/complicated code
> change in my patch. Infrastructure for automatic scaling is in present
> code, what I propose is to add several extra steps at better defined
> points.
>
> What I would like to see more is an optional automatic scaling back,
> if traffic is significantly less than current scale for extended
> period of time.

AFAIK there is no scaling back, perhaps that would be a nice feature :)

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.

| Richard Lucassen, Utrecht                                        |
| Public key and email address:                                    |
| http://www.lucassen.org/mail-pubkey.html                         |