[Vmail-discuss] Exim as Secondary MX

ODHIAMBO Washington wash at wananchi.com
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:29:41 +0300

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

* Jose de Paula Eufrasio Junior <jjunior@pib.com.br> [20030611 18:50]: wrot=
e:
> On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 12:37, Pat Crean wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 June 2003 11:04, Jose de Paula Eufrasio Junior wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > I was thinking in changing some MX here to use the vmail machine as
> > > secondary.
> > >
> > > What should I do? Just put the domains that I want in the relay_domai=
ns
> > > and not in the localdomains?
> > >
> > > Any help is welcome ! :)
> > >
> > > []s
> > > coredump
> >=20
> >=20
> > The easiest way to handle it is to set "relay_domains_include_local_mx =
=3D yes". =20
> > That way you just have to create a low priority mx record pointing to y=
our=20
> > vmail machine and everything else happens automagically.  You do open=
=20
> > yourself up to a potential spam attack in that a spammer could,=20
> > theoretically, set up a dns server containing an mx record pointing to =
you=20
> > and then use you as an open relay.  Not too big a problem, though as mo=
st=20
> > spammers aren't going to go to that extreme when there are so many open=
=20
> > relays available in china....
>=20
> Sorry, I don't made myself clear enough. It's not a secondary MX. It's a
> relay. That's the full history:
>=20
> We have one First Class server, and it's SMTP server suc*s, no AV, bad
> spam prevention, a whole list of problems.
>=20
> To remedy that, we're trying to pass the mails (smtp) by the vmail
> machine, where exim + vmail + amavis will do the cleaning...
>=20
> so, what I need is that the vmail machine receives the mail for the
> first class machine and redirect them, after all routing thru exim, to
> the final smtp.
>=20
> The First Class is a separate domain, and the vmail machine handles
> multople domains too (of course).
>=20
> I think that now I pictured the scneario right :)

So the vmail machine must be PRIMARY. The highest priority mx for the domai=
ns
must point to it. Use Stephen Marley's suggestion after doing that, so that
the vmail machine allows relaying for those domains, while also scanning the
mails.

-Wash

--=20
Odhiambo Washington   <wash@wananchi.com>  "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'
Tel: +254 2 313985-9  +254 2 313922         so I installed FreeBSD."  =20
GSM: +254 72 743223   +254 733 744121       This sig is McQ!  :-)

Good advice is something a man gives when he is too old to set a bad
example.
		-- La Rouchefoucauld

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf--