[Vmail-discuss] spool to maildir

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:29:32 +0100

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 04:22:58PM +0200, Manuel Giorgini wrote:
> [2003-04-30 16:17:16] Paul Warren,
>
> PW> I used a Perl script called perfectmaildir.  I'm sure Google will reveal
> PW> its location.
>
> http://perfectmaildir.home-dn.net/
>
> *very happy*

Um.

It's worth pointing out that this script has at least one
bug:

    Perfect - message Flags/X-Flags are converted; "^>From ." line is unescaped
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Note that >From is *not* escaping, but munging. In
particular, >From does not get modified to >>From by
typical MDAs.  Therefore, it is not correct to change
`>From' to `From', in general. (Note careful quoting
there.)

Unfortunately, DJB decided to, err, improve the format in
qmail:

    http://www.qmail.org/qmail-manual-html/man5/mbox.html

Cf.

    http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/content-length.html

and appendfile.c in the Exim source.

--
``Any design problem can be solved by adding a level of indirection,
  apart from having too many levels of indirection.'' (Cargill)