[Vmail-discuss] RELAY question(s)

Chris Lightfoot chris@ex-parrot.com
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:53:58 +0100

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 08:54:41PM +0200, markus wrote:
> Greetings Chris, well i want to use it, but README.POP-before-SMTP says
> this:
> "First, a caveat: I do not use POP-before-SMTP relaying, and I think
> that it's a ghastly hack."
> thats why im looking for other ways..

Well... the other usual option is SMTP authentication. We
have this working with vmail-sql and with UNIX users (who
put a secret in ~/.mailauth, which Exim then reads) but
this is restricted to users who have fairly recent MUAs
and I understand it can be a bit of a pain to configure.

--
``Bill Gates is very involved, but not on the side of the public domain.''
  (Jamie Love, on copyright-law lobbying in the United States)