[Vmail-discuss] RELAY question(s)

Wayne Pascoe wayne@penguinpowered.org.uk
22 Jul 2002 11:26:14 +0000

markus <markus@nsl.it> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> does anyone know how to enable pop before smtp to allow costumers to
> send mail trough the mail server?
>
> Or other ways to let my costumers use my mail server even if they dont
> have static ips/hostnames,
>
> I saw in tpop3d`s README.POP-before-SMTP:
> "First, a caveat: I do not use POP-before-SMTP relaying, and I think
> that it's a ghastly hack."

Your pop daemon has nothing at all to do with sending mail. You need
to look at facilities provided by exim for this.

You have two possible solutions that I know of. Firstly you could
allow relaying by sender address. I can't remember the exim config
definition for this, but it simply checks the from address and decides
to relay or not based on that. This has a downside in that anyone can
pose as a user and use you for a spam relay.

Your other option is SMTP auth. I don't know too much about this, but
I'm sure that exim supports it.

Hope those pointers help you find a starting point. Regards,

--
- Wayne Pascoe  -  http://www.penguinpowered.org.uk/wayne/
    I'm only in this job until an opening comes up