[Vmail-discuss] domain aliasing with local delivery

Jakob Hirsch jh@xxxxxxxx
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:02:05 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Warren" <pdw@ex-parrot.com>

> > That means, if I have a domain dom1, that should be aliased to another
> > domain dom2, dom1 will be in
> > domain_alias table, but not in domain table?
> Correct.  This design is possibly not ideal, but is a result of the
> aliasing being put in as an afterthought...

It's ok and consequential following to your design. It's only a little more expense on
administration, since I have to use domain-table _and_ domain_alias-table to handle all available
domains.

> > Another point: I wasn't aware of the fact that dom2 has to be local.
> > Maybe I'll try to implement a more generic form of aliasing that
> > allows to use any domain as dom1 (with exim rewrite or something).
> I'm not sure what you mean by local.  The idea is that the mail for a

Local means a domain listed in exim's local_domains.

> particular domain e.g. fred.com is handled by the server in the
> traditional vmail way.  If the user of fred.com also registers
> fred.co.uk, it can be set up as an alias so that blah@fred.co.uk gets
> handled exactly as if it were addressed to blah@fred.com, rather than
> having its own vmail config.

Ok, I see. I think I understood aliasing in another way.
Your design means: A domain dom-1 has one or more aliases dom-x, which are all handled the same way
as dom-1.
I thought more of something like: A domain dom-1 is aliased to another domain dom-2.
At first sight there's no difference, but the implementation would be different.

> > My problem was: The query for the path in virtual_localdelivery gave
> > two different results, one for dom1 and one for dom2, since both are
> > in domain table with a path of "/var/spool/mail/<domain>".
> If the path is different, then the domains are not 'aliased'.  The point

If dom1 is aliased to dom2, the path of dom1 in domain-table is not used, so there's no problem.