[Vmail-discuss] Security note for exim and MySQL

Paul Warren pdw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:40:52 +0000

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 03:27:37PM -0600, Eric Renfro wrote:
> BTW, Paul.  I must admit. This vmail-sql approach to using SQL
> queries GREATLY reduces the amount of configuration directives in my
> original flat-file system. I used to use several TRANSPORTS, and
> several DIRECTORS to do the same thing, but, so far, from what I'm
> seeing, and playing with by juggling the selects manually to test
> them out, it looks fairly solid and fully implemented.
> I never thought a MySQL approach could be so handy. And since exim's
> mysql backend approach allows you to literally set the entire query,
> it's the ultimate approach to doing it. I used to have
> /etc/virtual/$domain/[aliases|filter|passwd], and
> /etc/mail/[userdomains|virtualdomains] all used to do all that.

It's true - Exim does make this very easy, although I understand that
the performance is pretty dismal, owing to the way that the MySQL
support works in Exim.

> I'm adding to vmail-sql, for allowing relaying through
> virtual-domains as well, and if you would like, I will submit my
> sketched changes so you, and everyone else interested, may scan
> through it, and look at it, and use it as desired.

On what basis to you intend to authenticate incoming requests?  I think
I will start to put together a file of contributed sample configurations
- it was always intended that vmail-sql would be a starting point for a
working Exim config, rather than a complete one-size-fits-all solution -
it's good to see this happening :-)

cheers,

Paul