[Vmail-discuss] smtp auth

Chris Lightfoot chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:26:15 +0000

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 11:16:47PM +0000, Paul Warren wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 04:51:42PM -0600, Eric Renfro wrote:
> > A BIG problem could be the password hash. In my case, a crypt-md5 has
> > a preleading {crypt-md5} to it, which disrupts anything that doesn't
> > know about that.
> >
> > Paul if you read this, take a note, please. :)
> >
> > Proper MD5 hashed passwords /always/ start with $1, to signify that
> > it's MD5, and hashed.
> > DES hashed passwords don't have that. I forget it's identifier, if it
> > even has one.

DES don't. It's some sort of OpenBSDism, I think. The
point is that the 1$ is not a valid crypt(3) salt value,
so the system uses it as `magic' to call into crypt_md5.
2$ is some sort of Blowfish hash, I think, though I don't
have an OpenBSD machine to hand to check....

> The reason for this is so that we can support multiple hashing formats,
> beyond just MD5 and DES.  In particular, APOP requires a plaintext copy
> of the password.
>
> With hindsight, it might have been more sensible to put the hash method
> into a separate column.
>
> <defence strength="weak">
> We didn't invent the {crypt-md5} syntax - we copied it off anther
> project although I forget which one.
> </defence>

LDAP, I think. It's not an unreasonable syntax, though I
suppose putting the information in a separate field might
have been more sensible. Ho hum.

> > I personally dare not ever use plaintext passwords as much as I
> > possibly can.
>
> I'd prefer to have plaintext passwords in a database that I can secure,
> rather than passwords being sent in the clear over a network that I
> can't, hence support for plaintext passwords so that we can do APOP, and
> CRAM-MD5 SMTP AUTH.

Quite.

--
 The Clairvoyant Society of London will not meet
 Tuesday because of unforeseen circumstances