[Vmail-discuss] POP-and-SEND with vmail

Paul Warren pdw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:26:16 +0100

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 07:05:01PM +0100, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> or whatever. A suitable perl regexp to parse this:
>
>     ($user, $ipaddr, $authdrv) = ($line =~ /fork_child: \[\d+\]([^(]+)\(([^)]+)\): successfully authenticated with (.+)$/);
>
> (Not tested but should work.)
>
> Note that this is not in any way secure (it's not secure
> with ipop3d either). In particular, I could write a
> program which outputs syslog lines as above for arbitrary
> IP addresses. But this is not a problem unless users on
> your POP host have shell access, in which case they can
> probably send mail through your host by other means
> anyway.

Even without shell access, I wouldn't like to bet that you couldn't get
that message into syslog anyway.  Writing a regexp that is tied to the
beginning of the line might help, but it might be worth considering a
more "serious" solution to this problem, as it seems to be reasonably
popular amongst users of virtual email software.

We could do an execute-command-on-auth, or logging to a separate file.

I will include our password based solution to this problem in the next
distribution of vmail.

Paul