[Vmail-discuss] POP-and-SEND with vmail

Marcin Pacyna mpacyna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:01:47 -0400

That's exactly what I meant by POP-and-SEND.

Currently I'm redirecting the log output from my POP3 daemon into a named
pipe (via syslog) which in turn gets parsed by a perl script (which I found
somewhere on a sendmail site) which puts authenticated IPs as files into a
spool directory which then gets compiled into a table which is read by
exim... etc.  That same script checks the creation time of each file and
removes the appropriate files from the spool after a specified time.

I could use the same method with tpop3d however the log output from tpop3d
is quite different - my current pop3 daemon spits out easily parsable lines
such as:

Jul 17 12:54:27 mail ipop3d[16983]: Login user=someuser
host=somehost.domain.com [10.10.10.10] nmsgs=0/0

so all I need to look for is a line that has a "Login" and I grab the IP
from it.

tpop3d has slightly more verbose output usually spanning multiple lines
which isn't as easy to parse.

Maybe it'd be useful to add an option to have a more compact logging in
tpop3d? (if there isn't one in place already)

Regards,

Marcin Pacyna
System Administrator
Nexvision Interactive