[Vmail-discuss] Webmail for vmail-sql

Marcin Sochacki wanted@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:37:33 +0200

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 10:07:05AM +0100, Paul Warren wrote:
> In the long term we plan to put POP3 support in, but the problem with
> POP3 is the lack of multiple folder support.  Do you know how the
> POP3 webmail programs that offer subfolders work?

Generally, there are two approaches:
1) use some physical filespace for each user (created on demand), eg.
   /var/lib/webmail/username@domain/(addressbook|folders)
   The directory must be writable by the webserver user, which might be
   insecure (unless you use some SuExec stuff).
2) keep all data in SQL database, folders usually as BLOB-s;
   one could use vmail-sql database and tables for this approach.

Wanted