[Vmail-discuss] IMAP and webmail solutions

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 02:26:46 -0700

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:20:51AM +0100, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > http://www.astray.com/acmemail/devel/ -- the project was handed off a
> > few months ago -- http://acmemail.sourceforge.net/
>
> design (and, worse, JavaScript). Acmemail looks relatively
> plausible until you observe that it uses CClient (boo!)
> and logs in to the POP/IMAP server for every page view,
> storing the user's password in an RDBMS.

FWIW, you might want to watch their mailing list; there is a lot of
developer interest -- acmemail is old & crocky looking relative to
Sparkle which is considerably better abstracted.

> frames, etc. I _may_ write a decent message composer in
> Java, if I can be bothered.

That would be good. I'm working on client-side S/MIME so you should
definitely work on this part first :-)

> It will come with a (mostly complete) patch to the WU IMAP
> server to cache metadata for BSD mailspools, which offers

(I wish mailspools would just die.)

> a substantial performance improvement, and an IMAP proxy
> which allows each page view to pick up an existing IMAP
> session, and removes the need to store user passwords.

I have a feeling sparkle does this but am not sure.

Paul

--
Use your own ideas

11 sleeps to Burning Man! http://spiraloasis.org/